Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Vienna diet

My experience in Vienna is largely centered around food. Whether I am organizing dinner parties, baking, creatively reinventing leftovers or trying new places, food is my numero uno! I thought I would share some of my favorite food-ventures, in no particular order.

Schnitzel Schnitzel Schnitzel!
I took part in a school program sponsored cooking class, we tied on our aprons, sharpened our knives and yodeled like real Austrians until the schnitzel came home. Not really, but I did learn how to properly beat veal into submission, turns out it is a great way to let off some steam!
Ready to eat a home-cooked meal


Progressive dinners
In the beginning of this semester I felt very overwhelmed by the amount of people I was expected to live with for 5 months. In an effort to get to know people I decided to go about this in the only sure-fire way I knew; food!
Apartment 4 with desserts
Our apartment building had 5 apartments with students in our program. Therefore, for these dinners each apartment would pick a course (drinks, appetizers, main or dessert) and prepare it for everyone. We did this once a month roughly, so once a month our poor Austrian neighbors would listen as their American neighbors stamped up and down the stairs. We really should've called it progressive noise night (sorry neighbors, but quiet hours don't start until 10pm). These dinners were a great success, at least everyone was well fed, watered and tired by the end, and our apartment building grew very close. Food to the rescue!


Oh the Strudel you will eat
As we all know from the Sound of Music, Austria isn't complete without "crisp apple strudel". Since my room mate and I are doodies to the end, we decided to do something a little touristy and go to a strudel show. We meandered over to the palace of Schonnbrunn ( what will life br like when I can't take public transportation to the nearest palace?!) and seated cozily with a thick slice of strudel and a steaming mug of hot chocolate, listened to the pastry chef. She demonstrated the proper way to stretch out the dough, wrap up the apples and bake it, presto! We even took home recipes ( I grabbed one in English, French and German, who wants to bake with me?) and the smell of strudel on our clothes.

Markets, markets and more markets!
In Vienna, in is safe to say that there are at least a dozen markets scattered throughout the city. If you want a complete list, check out this website. http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/markets-vienna.htm

The one closest to my apartment is the most well known, the Naschmarkt. Smashed with tourists even on cold days, you are hard put not to sample all the falafel, olives, hummus, cheese and nuts that are everywhere. My favorite snack there? Wasabi beans! Spicy! On Saturday's you can even check out the flea market and barter for some useful junk (7€ ball gown? Ja bitte!)
A more recent market discovery was that of the Brunnemarkt and Yppnmarkt. These two together form the shape of an L and are far more local and less touristy. Here are stands of fresh produce, bread, honey, Fungus and fruit from the Austrian farms.
I want my spice!!


Call me food obsessed, but everyone has to eat, so if you have the means and the stretchy
Pants, why not eat well (and often)! My secret to not gaining 50 kilos? Do like the Viennese and walk! I have never seen such an active city, even the older Viennese who hunch to walk can nimbly navigate the subways and street cars. On average I walk about an hour a day, but generally I would say it's closer to two or three. So if I eat a lot at dinner, I just walk home! If that doesn't work, oh well at least you know the food you ate was delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment