Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cully Reinvented

Cully +Jazz= Tents

My weekend trip to Cully in April could not have been more different then the first one. Instead of a quiet, frozen town I found a sunny and music filled community teeming with excitement. Tents were set up in the center and there were huge boards displaying the concerts throughout the two week festival
and their many locations. I was immediately whisked into the life of the festival and didn't leave until I hopped on the plane to go back to Vienna. It was wonderful to see my Swiss family completely in their element, I have never seen such great hostesses/organizers as my aunt Gundi and cousin Dorianne, as they helped keep the festival running. Dorianne was in charge of a bar on a boat, which was a great venue for smaller concerts and a calmer atmosphere. There were jazz concerts around every corner, so whenever I wasn't working in the coat check (This was a wonderful experience and I got into the concerts for free!) I was wondering around to the various venues and checking out the fantastic musicians. I have to say my favorite was a cello, guitar rapper trio that had a really interesting sound. Although I didn't understand all of the words that he was saying, just the sound of his voice was enough for me, I can understand why it was a sold out concert!

The dining tent


Dorianne on the boat

























 






Morale of the story, I felt like an iPod shuffle for the weekend, my playlist?
Drink
Eat
Jazz
Coat check
Sleep
Shuffle that in anyway and that was my weekend!





There was no better way to come back to Switzerland, thanks again to my family for hosting me and allowing me to take part in an incredibly wonderful and international jazz festival! I am sad that I don't know the next time I will see you, but I am grateful that I had this time with you, it was one of the highlights of my time in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment