Sunday, April 22, 2012

Viva Italia! The journey begins in Milan

Ready, set, travel
 The familiar college experience of spring break takes an interesting turn when studying abroad. Instead of the typical trips of migrating south for beach, booze and burns, our thoughts turn to intensive tourist destinations like Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague and Rome. In an effort to get as much out of spring break as possible I headed off to Italy for a 10 day whirlwind 5 city tour armed with three friends (Anna, Zach and Andriy) a hard suitcase, a beat up section of my travel guide and my sanity (which was soon to leave me).
We flew into Milan and immediately ordered pizza. Seriously, we had hardly set our bags down in the hotel before we were off in search of a restaurant to order pizza. Once I had taken that first bite I knew that I would be eating my way through Italy, even though I knew it wasn't the best pizza I would have during the trip I was still in Heaven.
The next day we hit the ground running, full of energy and excitement we were ready for day one! The weather was beautiful and we spent the day wandering around to all the sites, first up was the Duomo, a massive cathedral (I believe it was a cathedral, not sure) which was an amazing example of Gothic architecture. We went up all the way to the top and walked around on the roof where we got an amazing view of the city.


On top of the Duomo with Anna

Duomo front view
For lunch we found a nice little restaurant and I had a salad with the BEST tomatoes I have ever eaten. As became tradition every time we ate we got gelato and continued our tour of the city.
At the restaurant with the fabulous tomatoes

























A museum and a park later Anna and I found ourselves in the heart of Milan's shopping district and so decided to indulge (My poor wallet!).
The first of many Ferrari stores


Delicious















We branched out for dinner and got pasta, I ordered gnocchi and promptly burned my tongue, but oh so delicious! Topped off with gelato we collapsed after our first full day of touristing knowing that the next day would bring us to Venice!

No comments:

Post a Comment