Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Switzerland and the three C's; Cello, Cheese and Chocolate!

After 24 hours of traveling through five countries by plane (Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, Portugal and Switzerland) and one missed flight I finally made it to Europe! 
My first starbucks sighting in almost 5 months
Culture shock has not quite set in too much, although the amount of traffic lights and lack of fruit stands on every corner is a little startling. However, the two weeks of Swiss retreat will have me right in no time! My re-introduction into first world living consists of 5 easy steps!
Step 1: Cello
When I entered my new room in my aunt's apartment I was greeted by an old friend...C-ello! This new cello was rented from a local luthier, whom I had the pleasure of meeting one saturday morning at his shop in Vevey (he showed us his current projects, restorations on instruments from the 1700s!). After months of being separated from my main instrument I now have a cello in my room! I can practice as much as I want, although I am limited by how much my fingers can handle (building callouses does take time, ouch!). As the days go by I grow increasingly nervous about my upcoming audition for my Vienna music program, but at least I have my companion back to comfort me. Plus, with a view like this to practice to, its easy to find the time to prepare. 
Step 2: Cheese
What, samples? Yes please!
What is the first thing you think of when you think of Switzerland? ( Discount the immediate man in lederhosen yodeling on top of the Alps that popped into your mind) That's right, Cheese! So sorry to those of you that don't have regular access to amazing cheese like this, but I think I'm in heaven. As soon as I arrived there was a cheese course before dessert. I think I have had cheese everyday since I have gotten here. On sunday I had the traditional Swiss meal of fondue for the first time this trip and I have had enough cheese to satisfy me for the rest of my European experience (ok, so not exactly true). I have already been in multiple shops where there are cases filled with just cheese! Gone are the days when I would savor Vache qui Rit (Laughing Cow) triangles. Not that there weren't other amazing foods to savor in Senegal, but lets get real, cheese is a staple in my diet. If my diet was a pie chart, the cheese portion would be the big 50% portion -Probably a half wheel of gruyere- If I could create a multi course meal with cheese in every part, I would (dessert you ask? Simple, CHEESECAKE!). Say Cheese!
Step 3: Chocolate
King cake
Ahh chocolate, another Swiss remedy, an integral part of readjustment. I am amazed by the number of bakeries and chocolateries around here. Honestly the theme from "Chocolate" plays in my head every time I walk past a slightly frosted window with a chocolate display (You know, the one with Johnny Depp and chocolate, a perfect combination). Not only that, but there are little wrapped chocolates scattered through my aunt's apartment. Hot tea, good music, a book and a mini chocolate...ahhhhh. Yes, culture shock is realllly rough.
Step 4: Wine
I need to fill you in on some of the details here. I am currently living in a small town called Cully, near the bigger city of Lausanne. Cully is a town comprised of vintners and acres of vineyards. My uncle, Pierre, owns several plots and makes his own wine (quite good, if I do say so myself). Morale of the story, wine is everywhere. Thank goodness I am 21 now, for those of you wondering at home (because I wouldn't be drinking any wine if I wasn't), because I can really appreciate an integral part of the culture here. Although I did enjoy the Flag beers and imported French wine in Senegal, nothing compares to locally made wine. People here give any excuse to go out and have a drink on any given night and that is usually after they have had several glasses already over the course of the day. This is not to say that this is a town of drunkards, it is a town of people who appreciate a nice glass of white with lunch and red with dinner. As they say here, pourquoi pas?

Step 5: Faire la Causette
The tenants of the apartment building raise a glass to the new year
My cousin Dorianne and I
Finally, village life. It is much easier to adjust to life in a small town then in a city. My friends who went directly back to the US after Senegal received shocks going into supermarkets and other megastores that the US is so famous for. For me, I went from walking around the streets in Senegal searching around for the one fruit stand among the 15 in the area around my apartment that had a grapefruit (think about how many starbucks there are in Seattle, now imagine that only one has a mocha frappucino, same difference) to walking the streets of Cully to the baker for bread and small grocery store for onions. The other benefit to village life is how everyone knows everyone. On my adventure to the bakery, the woman told me that I looked familiar and wanted to know who I was staying with and upon learning the last name of my uncle she nodded approvingly and helped me pick out a loaf of bread. Whenever I go out with my aunt, she is always running into some store or other to say hello to someone (I say running because she walks so fast I feel like she is running). I spent a cheerful friday evening with my aunt, uncle and their friends at a little pub while my uncle told stories about what the pub was like when he was young and exciting ( I think he told us about a drinking competition involving boot glasses, but sometimes my french fails me when there is too much ambient noise). The days here are often dotted with visits from friends and friendly conversations in the streets with friends that haven't been seen for a while. All of this is similar to the process in Burkina called "faire le tour" where you literally went around to everyone's house to say hi. I guess a village is a village, no matter where it is.
Glorious day at the market
My Swiss retreat Chez Gundi (that is my aunt's name) has been a success. I have to give a shout out to my aunt and uncle for housing me and listening to my attempts at cello playing for the past two weeks and general lazing around the house. All of the steps combined have invigorated new life into this Ballardite. I am ready for the next stage on my journey, Vienna!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they have to sprint to keep up with Aunt G. Even Tom commented that his legs are twice as long and he still can't keep pace :) Have some wine and cheese for me!

    ReplyDelete