Sunday, October 2, 2011

Village Stay and St. Louis

A glass painting artist showing us how he does his work in Thiés
 We just had an excursion where we spent one day in Thiés, three days living in a small village (Mouit, in my case) with a family, and then several days in St. Louis. St. Louis is the old capitol of west Africa, so we did some historical research while we were here, as well as enjoy a new and different city! I am posting mainly photos, as describing the experience takes more than words alone. Enjoy! 
 



Monastery outside of Thiés






C'est Moi! At the largest Mosque in Touba,Senegal
All of the girls in the group, wearing our head coverings while visiting the mosque!
My cousin Bintu and a friend in the village


This is the wall of the school in the village of Mouit


After our first night with our new families in the Village, we on a boat tour that took us to an island where we could go swimming, it feels like here the water is always warm and a wonderful relief from the heat! My family was very welcoming to me, and immediately had me sweeping the floor and participating in daily life. It was nice to get a break from the hustle and bustle of Dakar, and experience life at a VERY slow pace. Time passed almost with my noticing, and despite the huge language barrier (most people only spoke Wolof there), I was able to communicate and have a good time!
My Aunt Fatu and her Daughter Bintu plucking the chicken for dinner, yum!
Preparing lunch as a family!From left to right, my aunt (?) Rocaire, Mom, Aida, Bintu, my sister Aminta, and my brother Ossman
Making lunch with the girls

Lunch of Cebujen

Practicing my Youssa before the Sabar

My brother Niké, and Ossman

The woman next door, preparing the traditional tea of Atieler, she also braided my hair
At the Sabar with Awa (L-R), Rocaire and Abbé

At the Sabar, someone's sister is dancing a traditional dance while we watch

Toubabs join in and dance

Mid-way through getting my henna done

She puts the henna on my fingers, while at least 10 children watch
A goat being skinned for dinner to celebrate my uncle's return from a 5 year stint in Italy

My henna is finally completed after 3 hours

Waiting for the bus to leave the Village, with my brother Niké, Ossman and another relative
The lights on the Pond Faidherbe in Saint Louis

A potty stop during the bus ride turns into playtime on an ancient Baobab
My experience in the village was tough, but one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I hope to see my family again, they made my stay as wonderful as it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment